PART 3: First tests printing on fabric

Next up in my 3D printing journey, was to try printing directly onto the fabric.
Martin helped me create the first file. I had a collage made by hand, that I scanned and made into vector graphics in Illustrator. I then saved it as a SVG, and after this Martin took over. He opened up the file in OpenSCad, and made the shape 3 dimensional, simply by putting on some height to the shape.


We started out the first test by printing on a thin cotton voile, and it quickly turned out, that it wasn´t that easy as it seamed, as the print pealed off as soon as the print was done, and I took it off the heat bed.


Luckily I had also brought another fabric, a thin mesh. Mesh is almost like tulle, but more stretchy, and like tulle it is like a fine net.
I tried this as the next print, and it actually worked! I started the print by printing 3 layers directly on the heat bed, and then adding a pause into the G-code (G-code is, very short explained, the coding language that the 3D printer speaks). Martin again helped me by creating the pause code, and adding it to the G-code.
When the printer was on pause, I added glue stick to the print on the heat bed, and then put the fabric on top of this. When the glue was dried, I continued the print.
By doing it like this, Martin and I discovered that the print would melt onto itself on the other side of the fabric, through the small holes in the mesh, and in that way you would not be able to remove it again.
We did not know from the beginning, that it was going to happen like that, but, because of our tests, we found out that the best fabric to print on was something like mesh, tulle or other net-like materials.